Watson-Marlow Fluid Technology Group (WMFTG) is the world's leading manufacturer of niche peristaltic pumps, radial diaphragm valves, and fluid path solutions servicing customers across a wide range of manufacturing industries such as pharmaceutical, water treatment, food and beverage, and mining. A subsidiary of the Spirax-Sarco Engineering Group (LSE: SPX), WMFTG operates eight world class factories located in Europe and two in the USA. We trade throughout the world primarily through wholly owned subsidiary direct sales companies operating in the major economies around the globe and through direct sales and manufacturers reps domestically.
The hiring company is our USA aseptic valve design and manufacturing company, ASEPCO, located in Mountain View, CA. ASEPCO is the world leader in specialty niche weirless radial diaphragm valves for the biopharmaceutical and pharmaceutical industry.
ASEPCO are seeking an innovative, process-oriented Mechanical Design Engineer to join our New Product Development (NPD) team. The Mechanical Design Engineer is a staff level position with responsibility to provide technical and conceptual design expertise to support the development of new products as well as improvements to existing products. This position will be responsible for determining design approach, theoretical analysis, preparing CAD drawing, prototyping, and testing and verification of new designs as well as supporting other departments in new product introduction.
- Responsible for performing mechanical engineering research, design, development, modification, and evaluation in support of clean valves and mixers and associated systems.
- Primary focus is on New Product Development in line with high level corporate objectives with particular focus on design for manufacture.
- Responsible for determining design approach including basic thermal and structural analysis as well as associated fluid dynamics and propose, review, and evaluate designs as directed.
- Responsible for generating and/or coordinating layout and drafting activities and verify accuracy of final documentation.
- Intensive mechanical lab verification and assembly shop activity required to verify theoretical design concepts.
- Analyze and select lab components and equipment.
- Design fixtures and jigs for lab and manufacturing needs and conduct independent experiments or tests required for verification
- Analyze test results and provide documented recommendations.
- Support manufacturing design implementation for new products and product modifications, including training and assembly line personnel training.
- Support other Asepco personnel, technicians, to meet project milestones.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar discipline.
- 2+ years’ related experience required that demonstrates hands on ability to meet job responsibilities
- In-depth knowledge and proficiency with SolidWorks PDM software or similar.
- Knowledge of thermal and structural FEA modelling analysis.
- Experience and emphasis on system level understanding of equipment design, machine shop practices and prototype modelling shop is essential.
- Requires understanding of machine mechanics, fluid dynamics, and thermodynamics
- Knowledge of relevant industry standards (ASME BPE, USP VI, FDA, PED (EU), cGMP, BPOG) is a significant plus.
- Strong communication and organizational skills with ability to work on multiple priorities at once.
- Proven ability to resolve problems independently and take appropriate action in a timely manner.
- Proficient in Windows applications and Microsoft Office programs such as MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Skype for Business.
- Quickly learns and achieves proficiency in new software applications as needed.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Fluent written and verbal communication in English is required.
Working conditions are in an office and warehouse/assembly environment with regular use of phone and computer for email and communication media.
Candidate must be able to travel on occasion to assess and visit customers, vendors and other Watson-Marlow group companies as requried.
To apply for this role please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.